Thursday, March 26, 2009

Oh *hell* no, America - Matt Giraud in the bottom 2 this week on Idol - RIDICULOUS!

Yes, I know this is a movie blog, but American Idol is in full swing and takes up multiple hours of my week. Deal! (I am working on a massive blog dedicated to my favorite American actor, Paul Rudd, so that'll be posted soon, I promise).

So, anyways... the Idol.

Tonight was the results show and Matt Giraud was in the bottom three... nay, the bottom two... WTF America?!

First of all, there are many talented contestants this season. There are a few guys (and perhaps one little cranberry haired young lady) who I think will do very well this season, as well as Post-Idol. Second of all, there were three or four performances this week that were waaaaaaay worse than everyone else... instead of Matt Giraud in the bottom, Lil Rounds or Meghan Joy could have easily filled that slot.

Let me explain...

This week's AI theme was Motown (!) Sooooo many great songs to pick from from soooooo many of the greatest artists in music history. No one should have picked a wrong song, but alas - some of the song choices were whack.

Matt Giraud started the show off right singing Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". I would have been content if he would have stayed behind the piano, but he got up and BRUNG IT front and center stage. His voice is smooth and he's a great performer. He deserves the praise he's getting and the comparisons to Justin Timberlake and Michael Buble are valid. Each week since the Top 13, he's had solid performances... his version of Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" is the most played song on my iTunes (20 plays and counting) and I only downloaded it less than a week ago. There was no way on Earth he should have been in the bottom two this week. I usually wait until later in the season to vote, but starting next week, I will be 1-866-Idol-0something for Matt Giraud.

Kris Allen gave another solid performance this week - I really liked his take on "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You". Him and his guitar are a good match for each other - with his little side-mouthed singing... he hit some awesome notes this week and I'm glad that America voted him into the Top 13 even though we didn't see anything from him before the Top 36.

Another consistently strong performer is Adam Lambert. He's different, that's for sure. You can tell he is very comfortable on stage and knows how to work his instrument and the camera. He's been all over the place with types of performances, but they are always on pitch and interesting. Last week's version of "Ring of Fire" was insane - and though I felt somewhat uncomfortable watching him sing, there is no denying he is very, very good. (He's very easy on the eyes, but when he started groping the mic stand and making sexy eyes with the camera, I couldn't watch without giggling a little bit :) ) I liked his Elvis-inspired look this week... I also thinks he looks a bit like Ewan McGregor circa Moulin Rouge! (2001)... dark hair, light eyes... almost the same nose/mouth/chin. He'll be around on Idol for awhile and I'm fine with that.

Another one of my favorites this season is Danny Gokey. I dig his different glasses each week and his high-energy performances. He even took "Jesus Takes the Wheel" to white people's church last week, which I enjoyed. I look forward to when he (or anyone this season, really) REALLY takes a song to Church... Gokey's back story is sad, but it's inspiring to see him singing each week. I only wish his friend would have made the Top 13 too :(

My other favorite guy is, of course, ANOOP! I have been rooting for Anoop (as well as the other 4 listed above) since the audition rounds. Anoop is awesome - he can sing a mellow ballad, and then turn around and give a rousing performance of "My Perrogative" - Love It! He's adorable to boot, and I like seeing his parents cheer him on each week.

As for Scott MacEntyre (sp?) - I like him just fine, but he doesn't have what it takes to win this competition. He seems like a super nice guy, he sings pretty well and plays the piano just fine, but he's not a showman like some of the other guys. Randy's right - he's got a Disney voice.

I was so glad to see Michael Sarver leave tonight. It's not that I didn't like him - but between him and Matt Giraud (swoon), Matt Giraud deserves to continue on in hopes of becoming American Idol. Sarver seems like a nice guy and he sings all right, but there was no way on God's green earth that he's better at singing/performing than Danny, Matt and Adam. He should have gone home last week instead of Alexis Grace, but good for him for making it to the tour.

As for the girls...

I was a fan of Lil Rounds during auditions, but she hasn't wowed me at all these past 3 weeks. During Michael Jackson week, she sang "The Way You Make Me Feel". Not the most challenging song in his song book. And she did horrible during Grand Ole Opry week... "Independence Day"? Fine, do that song, but make it your own! Turn it into a hot R&B track, don't just sing it how Martina McBride sings it and look bored as hell while you're doing it. And then this week - "Heat Wave" - she shouted the entire song! That's not musical at all, that's just loud. You best do better Lil Rounds, or all your hype will be for naught.

Alexis was my favorite girl in the Top 13, but she got ousted, so then we're only left with Lil, Megan Joy and Allison. Oh, Meghan Joy, you are KILLING me, Smalls. I dig your quirky singing voice, but pick better songs and quit the dancing. You totally chose the wrong song this week - first off, with your vocal stylings, you shouldn't sing Stevie. Pick a female artist or girl group and look at their tracks. Pick one that you could make bluesy/jazzy. Don't. Sing. Stevie. EVER.

Allison, Allison, Allison. You rocked the beJESUS out of "Papa Was a Rolling Stone". That last run of notes was CRAZY AWESOME. I dig you and your red hair and uncensored comments (like the other week when you said you didn't cut yourself... that was priceless). This 16 year old is super talented and very much deserves her slot in the Top 9. Keep going, girl.

America, please do not let Matt Giraud be in the bottom 2 ever again this season... The boy is crazy talented and it would make me (and probably millions of young women across America) very sad if he was not crooning at his piano for the next couple months.

No comments: